Pets & Festive Holidays
As the year comes to an end, we should all be grateful for the countless blessings given including our furkids. In many Asian countries, it is ending a year, welcoming the English new year and embracing the Chinese Zodiac, the Year of The Rat😊. We have listed a couple of do’s and don’t this holiday season.
Couple of Do’s and Don’ts During this Festive Hols:
- Don’t OVERINDULGE Your Pet
A sudden switch from kibble or canned food to a plate full of turkey and stuffing can wreak havoc on your pet’s digestive system, potentially leading to pancreatitis and gastroenteritis. More than just a tummy ache, these conditions can be very painful and even life-threatening to your pet. Some foods are also toxic to dogs and cats, including onions, garlic, chives, grapes and raisins, chocolate – applies to dark, milk and for baking which is the worse, alcohol, coffee, salt and salty snack food, avocado and xylitol (found in many sugar-free candies and gum).
- Don’t Make Any Exceptions Despite the Holiday Season
As Pet Parents we want to enjoy ourselves after a hard year’s work and share it with our furkids but always remember that dogs and cats cannot handle rich, fatty foods like butter, cream and gravy the way humans can, but that doesn’t mean they have to be left out! Set aside small portions of plain turkey, mashed potatoes and vegetables like carrots or green beans for your pet instead. Just remember to make sure the turkey is well cooked and don’t forget to remove the bones and skin. Even better, there are plenty of reliable and trusted recipes for the easy-going canines and finicky felines, freeze a few days ahead then bake when it is time to party!!
- DON’T forget to CLEAN UP PROPERLY
As the night dies down into early hours of the morning and the party ends, please have a strong cup of coffee and clean up properly not leaving any food remnant behind. Don’t want Scooby picking up any bone carcass from the turkey and swallowing it as bones can cause tears towards the intestines and oesophagus (back of the throat). Ensure that all trash bags are securely tied and thrown out of the apartment or house.
- Provide Space for your Pet When Entertaining
No matter how outgoing your furkid may be regardless cat or dog, social situations of a gathering can cause stress as Scooby is suddenly swamped with people. Provide a quiet surrounding like a separate room from your guests where he/she can de-stress. Signs of stress in such situations include heavy panting, pacing, trembling and vocalizing.
- DON’T Break the Rules
No matter how pet loving your friends are towards Scooby or your finicky feline, rules are rules so explain to your guests the do’s and don’ts when giving table scraps which is a HUGE NO! but dog or cat treats YES! And ensure permission is obtained before allowing Scooby to go outside the house and hopefully microchipped.
- Pet-proof Your House This Season
We love decorating the house this time of year and the last thing we need is an emergency situation so keep your house or apartment hazard-free especially when or if you have a curious Scooby always snooping and prone to chewing. Cooked bones, wrapping materials, bows, hooks, ribbons can become easily lodged within the body when chewed or swallowed.
- Christmas Tree
Be sure to keep the area around your Christmas tree clean if you have decided to buy a live one. While they may seem harmless, pine needles can actually puncture your pet’s intestines if ingested. Tree water can also result in a tummy ache—or worse, if preservative chemicals are added to it. The artificial snow sprayed on some Christmas trees can also be toxic to pets if ingested. If you have pets in the home, it is strongly recommended not to purchase this type of tree. Save yourself a lot of trouble and get the “fake” Christmas Tree😊
- Open Flames
Lighting of tealights and huge decorative candles are common during this time of year and this goes a fair bit towards feline owners. Keep the flame out of reach as cats have the tendency to swipe the candle and start a fire.
- Exposure of Cords
Easy advice on this, purchase covers for all exposed cords and wires or simply tape them against the wall to discourage chewing. If chewed, it would be catastrophic!